Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Marking Period One Independent Reading Book Intro Post

For the first marking period of AP English, I will be reading The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson.  Daniel Burnham was a successful architect while Holmes was a doctor who was also a serial killer.  While Burnham helped build The Chicago World's Fair of 1893, or "The White City",  Holmes built a mansion next to it and lured in young women and killed them.  All the while, the fair masked his wrongdoings.  I chose to read this book because...honestly, there is no real reason except that it seemed interesting.  After my teacher said in class that we had to read non-fiction, I thought about different non-fiction works that I knew about or had read.  Not a single one seemed interesting.  When I got home that day, contemplating what to read, I kept going back to the idea of mysteries.  The idea seemed appealing because I love detective shows and murder mysteries.  Therefore, I thought it would be interesting to read about a real life murder mystery that I had never heard of before.  So I searched online and found a list where this book was either the first or second one there.  It looked pretty good.  Anyway, what I hope to gain from reading this book is to gain a better appreciation for non-fiction writing as well as to learn how to incorporate aspects of good storytelling into my own writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment